An Epic Playlist of the Top 20 Tweener Tennis Shots
You’ll Have to See to Believe
The tweener tennis shot is by far one of the most entertaining in tennis. If you’re unfamiliar, a tweener is a tennis shot that a player hits between the legs.
The most exciting tweeners are typically hit on the run after you’ve been lobed, facing away from the net and between the legs. Yeah, it’s as crazy as it sounds.
If you’ve ever seen one successfully hit, there’s no doubt you’d never forget. We love the shot so much we’ve scoured the web to find the greatest tweeners ever hit by professional tennis players and combined them into a playlist of the top 20.
Click below to jump to a section
Tap below to jump to a section
New to TennisCompanion?
Create a free account and explore my latest videos below
Tweener Video Playlist
Sit back, hit play, and enjoy!
Recap of Famous Tweeners
Here’s a recap of the videos you’ll find on our list:
- On September 13th, 2009, Roger Federer hit one of the biggest and most memorable tweeners ever hit in professional tennis during the semi-finals against Novak Djokovic.
- At the 2010 US Open during his first-round match against Brian Dabul, Roger Federer hit another rocket of a tweener, which he almost couldn’t believe.
- Back in 2010, Fernando Gonzalez hit a super clean tweener passing both of his opponents Oliver Marach and Lukasz Kubot while at a tournament in Acapulco.
- An oldie but goodie, James Blake scores big against Feliciano Lopez when he manages to execute a perfect tweener lob, while Feliciano sits and stares, only to laugh it off because it was just that good.
- Back in 2011, Nadal looked to one-up Blake with his tweener lob while playing Novak Djokovic in Madrid – so good.
- Playing against Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner at the World Tour Finals, Bob Bryan hits a perfectly executed lob tweener, which might be one of the most underrated.
- At the Western & Southern Open Juan Martin del Potro shows us that the big guys can do it too with an impressive lob tweener placed nicely in the backcourt.
- Back in 2008, now retired Frenchman Fabrice Santoro hit a stellar tweener lob against Vince Spadea at the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI.
- Roger Federer, after four weeks off, came out swinging at the 2010 Shanghai Masters and hit an awesome tweener straight down the middle of the court at John Isner, seemingly catching him off guard to win the point.
- At the 2005 US Open, Fabrice Santoro hits a sweet tweener while playing Federer in the 2nd round. Perhaps this is the shot that fueled Federer’s tweeners?
- On his way to the BNP Paribas Masters final, the insanely athletic Gael Monfils hits a solid tweener after covering just about every inch of the court.
- With no other shot to turn to Rafael Nadal hits a tweener right at Roger Federer, who ends up missing a layup off a volley.
- In Valencia Gael Monfils hits another great tweener that clips the net to pass Marcel Granollers in the quarter-finals – another excellent shot for sure.
- Quite a few years back, Fernando González manages to pull a tweener as a last-ditch effort against Ivan Ljubičić, and he manages to pull it off with a little help from the net.
- In Beijing, Richard Gasquet hits a tremendous looking tweener against Novak Djokovic. While the tweener doesn’t quite get the job done, he follows it up with a huge backhand passing shot to clean up.
- Playing against Andy Murray in the Shanghai final, Novak Djokovic manages to squeak in a nice tweener to stay in the point and finishes things off with one of his signature drop shots.
- At the Barcelona final, Rafael Nadal does a great job of tracking down a deep lob with a tweener to keep the point going and manages to win the point off of an unforced error from his opponent Nicolas Almagro.
- Playing an exhibition match against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Roger Federer hits yet another tweener to which Tsonga can’t reply.
- In the 2013 semi-final match in Dubai, Juan Martin del Potro hits a solid tweener only to have Novak Djokovic try and reply with his tweener, which he, unfortunately, can’t execute.
- In 2011 vs. Florian Mayer, Rafael Nadal hits a surprise tweener, which seems to surprise Mayer, who fails to convert a drop-dead simple volley.
Think there are any other high-quality tweeners we missed? Let us know, and we’ll take a look at adding it to our list.
Home > Epic Tweener Playlist
Play Better Tennis
Improve your game alongside our community of tennis players
Join the conversation with other members of the community.
5 Point Friday
Read our weekly recap of the 5 most interesting things we dig up in tennis.