Check out my new custom vibration dampener

An Arial View at Dusk of the Skyline in Seoul, Korea

Korea Open, Seoul Prize Money

2022 Breakdown & Historicals

By Jon Crim
TennisCompanion

For the first time since 1996, the city of Seoul in Korea is hosting an ATP tennis tournament at the Seoul Olympic Park Tennis Center, officially named the Eugene Korea Open Tennis Championships.

The 2022 edition is an ATP 250 event held on hard courts featuring a 28-player singles draw and 16 teams for doubles. The ATP granted the city a single-year license to stage the event, which before this year had a nine-year stint operating a tournament from 1987 to 1996.

For its first year back in 26 years, the tournament is offering total prize money of $1,117,930, which is a sizeable purse for its level, especially for an event that may not return next year. Players will certainly appreciate it because it’s one of the world’s most expensive cities.

The Korea Open’s winner will walk away with a check for $170,035, which translates to €172,663 and £150,873, while the runner-up will pocket $99,185, or €100,718 and £88,007, respectively.

In doubles, the team crowned as champions will split $59,090, which equates to €59,896 and £52,420, while their competitors will pocket roughly half that at $31,610, or €32,041 and £28,042.

I’ve provided an overview and detailed breakdown of the Korea Open’s prize money for quick reference and comparison.

Article Contents

Click below to jump to a section

Tap below to jump to a section

New to TennisCompanion?

Create a free account and explore my latest videos below

2022 Full Breakdown

Prize money at the Korea Open skews heavily toward the singles event, which captures roughly 80% of funds, while the remaining 20% organizers set aside for doubles.

However, if we look closer at each round within the singles and doubles events, you’ll notice a player’s earnings substantially increase as they progress through the tournament. For context, the singles winner earns 14 times more than a player who exits in the first round.

In the following table, I’ve summarized the Korea Open’s 2022 prize money by round for both events. I’ve also converted it to euros and Sterling Pound, which I calculate using the current exchange rate.

Singles

2022US DollarEuroSterling Pound
Winner$170,035€172,663£150,873
Runner Up$99,185€100,718£88,007
Semi-Final$58,310€59,211£51,739
Quarter Final$33,790€34,312£29,982
Round 2$19,620€19,923£17,409
Round 1$11,990€12,175£10,639
Q2$5,995€6,088£5,319
Q1$3,270€3,321£2,901

Doubles (Per Pair)

2022US DollarEuroSterling Pound
Winner$59,090€59,896£52,420
Runner Up$31,610€32,041£28,042
Semi-Final$18,530€18,783£16,438
Quarter Final$10,360€10,501£9,191
Round 1$6,100€6,183£5,411

Prize Money by Year

The ATP granted the city of Seoul a one-year contract to host the Korea Open, so we don’t have historical data for comparison. However, if the tournament succeeds and continues for subsequent years, I’ll be sure to maintain a record here.

In such a case, expect prize money to shift each year with various factors, including ticket sales, sponsorships, merchandise, and concessions influencing tournament revenue and what the event can afford to offer for its purse.

YearKorea Open Total Prize Money% Change
2022$1,117,930

Please note that all data is in US dollars.

FAQs

Here are a few frequently asked questions from fans and attendees about the Korea Open’s prize money.

How much does the winner earn at the Korea Open?

For 2022, the winner at the Korea Open will take home $170,035, which translates to €172,663 and £150,873.

How much does the runner-up earn at the Korea Open?

For 2022, the runner-up at the Korea Open will take home $99,185, which translates to €100,718 and £88,007.

Is the Korea Open’s prize money taxed?

Yes. For 2022, the Korean government taxes all player earnings at the Korean Open, reaching as high as 45% depending on a player’s winnings.

Home > Prize Money > Korea Open Prize Money

Image Credit: @cadop

Play Better Tennis

Improve your game alongside our community of tennis players

Why join?

Discussion Boards
Join the conversation with other members of the community.

5 Point Friday
Read our weekly recap of the 5 most interesting things we dig up in tennis.

In-depth Resources
Learn with comprehensive resources to help you improve your game.