Lyon Open Prize Money
2023 Breakdown & Historicals
The Lyon Open, otherwise known as the Open Parc Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Lyon, is an ATP 250 series clay court tournament held annually right before the French Open, the year’s second major in Paris.
In 2017, the tournament replaced the long-standing Open de Nice Côte d’Azur, which dates back to 1895, due to the inability of the prior event to expand at the Nice Lawn Tennis Club.
For 2023, the tournament’s total prize money is €534,555, the largest purse in its short history, equating to $577,997 and £464,779. These amounts represent a sizeable 27.4% increase over the prior year as the event recoups from a down year in 2021 due to the pandemic.
This year’s singles champion will earn €85,605, while the runner-up will pocket €49,940, both 5.3% increases over 2022.
Doubles pairs saw similar improvements in prize money, with the winners taking home €29,740 and the runner-up €15,910, again representing 5.3% increases compared to the prior year.
For a complete breakdown of prize money at the 2023 Lyon Open, including historical data for comparison and historical data, check out the tables in the following sections.
Click below to jump to a section
Tap below to jump to a section
2023 Full Breakdown
Prize Money by Year
New to TennisCompanion?
Create a free account and explore my latest videos below
2023 Full Breakdown
Tournament officials distribute roughly 80% of prize money at the Lyon Open to the singles event with 28 players, while the remaining 20% goes to the 16 teams competing in doubles.
The following tables summarize how prize money breaks down by round for singles and doubles, which is standard at ATP tournaments, with players earning more money the further they progress. For example, the tournament’s singles winner will take home 14 times as much as a player who exits in the first round.
Please note that conversions to the US dollar and sterling pound consider the exchange rate on the day of the previous year’s final. Also, you can scroll left to right on the tables to view more data.
|Qualies Round 2||€3,020||€2,870||€2,645||–||€2,555||€2,285||€2,195|
|Qualies Round 1||€1,645||€1,565||€1,375||–||€1,280||€1,145||€1,100|
|Qualies Round 2||$3,265||$3,002||$3,219||–||$2,863||$2,561||$2,460|
|Qualies Round 1||$1,778||$1,637||$1,673||–||$1,434||$1,283||$1,233|
British Sterling Pound
|Qualies Round 2||£2,622||£2,461||£2,277||–||£2,252||£2,014||£1,934|
|Qualies Round 1||£1,428||£1,342||£1,184||–||£1,128||£1,009||£969|
Doubles (Per Pair)
|2023||Euro||US Dollar||Sterling Pound|
Prize Money by Year
Every year, prize money changes at the Lyon Open. Although many fans expect it to go up yearly, it drops periodically. For example, in 2021, prize money dropped 20% due to the pandemic and limited crowd capacity, allowing fans to keep a safe distance from each other.
Ticket sales, sponsorships, merchandise, and concessions represent most of the tournament’s revenue. In a year like 2021, when ticket sales dropped and organizers canceled the event the prior year, it’s unsurprising that prize money declined accordingly.
The following table outlines the yearly prize money offered at the Lyon Open since its first year of operation in 2017. The prize money has increased by 11% during that period.
|Year||Total Prize Money||% Change|
Please note that all data is in euros.
Here are a few frequently asked questions from fans and attendees about the Lyon Open’s prize money.
How much does the winner earn at the Lyon Open?
For 2022, the winner at the Lyon Open will take home €85,605, translating to $92,560 and £74,429.
How much does the runner-up earn at the Lyon Open?
For 2022, the runner-up at the Lyon Open will take home €49,940, translating to $53,997 and £43,420.
Why did prize money at the Lyon Open go down in 2021?
Tournament officials canceled the 2020 tournament. As a result, ticket sales and revenue suffered, resulting in lower prize money than in prior years.
Is the Lyon Open’s prize money taxed?
Yes. The French government taxes all player earnings at the Lyon Open, reaching as high as 45%.
Home > Prize Money > Lyon Open Prize Money
Play Better Tennis
Improve your game alongside our community of tennis players
Join the conversation with other members of the community.
5 Point Friday
Read our weekly recap of the 5 most interesting things we dig up in tennis.