Sofia Open Prize Money
2023 Breakdown & Historicals
The Sofia Open, which the city of Sofia, Bulgaria, first hosted in 2016, is an ATP 250 indoor hardcourt tournament held annually at the Arena Armeec Sofia, a multifunctional sports arena with 12,373 seats.
With a population exceeding 1.25 million, Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria, is a fitting location for the tournament. The country is also home to its 2017 champion, Grigor Dimitrov, who became champion during his first appearance to capture his sixth career title.
For 2023, the Sofia Open’s total prize money is €562,815, the highest on record and up 5% from 2022. That translates to $602,524 and £490,328, which is relatively consistent with many other smaller ATP 250 tournaments held throughout the year.
The singles champion this year will receive a check for €85,605, while the runner-up will earn himself €49,940, roughly 60% of that sum, a 5.3% increase over 2022 earnings.
The doubles champions will split a much smaller sum of €29,740, and their competitors who earn the runner-up spot will divvy up €15,910, which, like singles, equates to a 5.3% increase for both over last year.
The remainder of this guide provides an overview and detailed breakdown of the Sofia Open’s prize money and historical data for quick reference and comparison, including currency conversion to euros and sterling pounds.
Click below to jump to a section
Tap below to jump to a section
New to TennisCompanion?
Create a free account and explore my latest videos below
2023 Full Breakdown
With a 28-player singles draw and a 16-team doubles entry list, tournament organizers at the Sofia Open distribute 80% of prize money to the singles event. The remaining 20% supports the doubles participants who receive significantly less pay.
Like other ATP tournaments, players earn more the further they progress through the singles or doubles events. As a point of reference, the singles champion will make 14 times more than a player who exits the first round, and five-figure earnings don’t start for players until they reach the quarterfinals.
For your review, I’ve summarized the Sofia Open’s 2023 prize money by round for singles and doubles. I’ve also converted earnings to euros and Sterling Pound, which I calculated using the exchange rate on the final day of the previous year’s tournament for historical data.
|Qualies Round 2||€3,020||€2,870||€2,645||€2,645||€2,555||€2,285||€2,195||€2,105|
|Qualies Roud 1||€1,645||€1,565||€1,375||€1,375||€1,280||€1,145||€1,100||€1,055|
Please note that all historical data for the Sofia Open’s prize money in euros considers exchange rates on the day of the final for the years listed.
|Qualies Round 2||$3,242||$2,834||$3,100||$3,137||$2,893||$2,587||$2,486||$2,384|
|Qualies Roud 1||$1,766||$1,546||$1,612||$1,631||$1,449||$1,297||$1,246||$1,195|
British Sterling Pound
Please note that all historical data for Sofia Open’s prize money in British sterling pounds considers exchange rates on the day of the final for the years listed.
|Qualies Round 2||£2,621||£2,507||£2,267||£2,406||£2,237||£2,000||£1,922||£1,843|
|Qualies Roud 1||£1,428||£1,367||£1,179||£1,250||£1,121||£1,002||£963||£924|
Doubles (Per Pair)
|2023||Euro||US Dollar||Sterling Pound|
Prize Money by Year
Although most expect prize money at tournaments to increase yearly, it’s not always the case, as prize money is often a direct reflection of the tournament’s success.
For example, in 2020, the tournament’s prize money dropped 38% due to the pandemic when organizers held the event without fans, dramatically impacting revenues. Beyond ticket sales, other revenue sources, including sponsorships, merchandise, and concessions, can also affect the availability of funds to award to players.
The Sofia Open kicked off in 2016, so there’s only seven years of tournament prize money to reference, but it’s impressive they never canceled the tournament as many others did in 2020.
|Year||Total Prize Money||% Change|
Please note that all data is in euros.
Here are a few frequently asked questions about the Sofia Open’s prize money from fans and attendees.
How much does the winner earn at the Sofia Open?
For 2023, the winner at the Sofia Open will take home €85,605, which translates to €91,673 and £74,583.
How much does the runner-up earn at the Sofia Open?
For 2023, the runner-up at the Sofia Open will take home €49,940, which translates to €53,480 and £43,506.
Is the Sofia Ope’s prize money taxed?
Yes. For 2023, the Bulgarian government taxes all player earnings at the Sofia Open. However, taxes on personal earnings are only 10% in the country, one of the most generous worldwide.
Play Better Tennis
Improve your game alongside our community of tennis players
Join the conversation with other members of the community.
5 Point Friday
Read our weekly recap of the 5 most interesting things we dig up in tennis.